Everyone goes to the grocery store. Who knew about all the things that many grocery stores do that help conserve and protect the environment? The stores do these things, not only because it helps protect the environment, it helps them save money as well. Here are some examples of things that many grocery stores do.
- Many grocery stores have skylights in the roof. They let in sunlight to help light the inside of the store. There are sensors that turn the lights off when the skylights provide enough light inside the store. Turning the lights off when they're not needed helps save energy.
- Some grocery stores have motion detectors inside the refrigerator and freezer display cases. They turn the display case lights on when someone is walking down the aisle. The lights turn back off when no one is in the aisle. Turning the lights on only when they're needed helps save energy.
- The lightbulbs in these display cases are LED bulbs. LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. This type of light bulb uses much less energy than regular light bulbs, and they last a lot longer. LED bulbs give off very little heat and are cool to the touch. Because the LED bulbs give off less heat than regular light bulbs, the refrigerators and freezers don't have to work as hard to keep your favorite ice cream frozen.
- What other ways do grocery stores help protect the environment?
- What products do they sell that are better for the environment?
- Why are these products better for the environment?
Click on the comments link at the bottom of this post and share your answers!